What we're up to...
A look back at 2015-2016...
- The 5th - 8th grade classes had an excellent trip to Eastern State Penitentiary. Prior to the trip, students had learned about and researched the US criminal justice and prison systems, past and present. By the end of the unit, students began researching and proposing legal changes to improve the current criminal justice and prison systems.
- The 7th and 8th grade AT classes visited the University of Pennsylvania at the end of the 2015-2016 school year, and were able to speak with Derek Cano (Bell Oaks alum and UPenn student) about life at UPenn.
- Our 2nd DonorsChoose.org project was funded! We receieved two Arduino micro-controllers and two Raspberry Pi 2s! This will allow the students to expand into the fields of computer programming and robotics!
- Our DonorsChoose.org project for a 3D Printer was funded! Our printer has arrived and students have been busy learning about and using 3D slicing software, as well as learning how to operate, calibrate, and print on the printer!
- Genius Hour! Our first Genius Hour was a success. Students presented their projects at the end of January, and have begun working on their second Genius Hour projects. Students will be beginning their next Genius Hour projects at the end of first marking period.
- Socratic Seminar! All classes have been actively engaging in discussion on current event topics and social studies topics in Socratic Seminar.